Monday, January 30, 2012

EARLY MORNING TOMORROW!


So after getting to my appointment at 10:15 AM, we finally left the medical center at about 5 PM!  But, it was all for a good reason.  During several different conversations with people in different areas of the hospital, we were told that Dr. David Ott (my surgeon for tomorrow) is without a doubt the best surgeon to do the procedure. Not only does he have an impressive success rate, he is very fast which is a good thing because the shorter I am under and on the bypass pump the better! 

I was reassured very much from Dr. Ott about what the surgery is going to be like and how I may feel afterwards.  He said, in comparison to my c-section, I will be in less pain.  I kind of wondered if that was because of the wonderful drugs they will be giving me, but thought it best not to ask that kind of question =)

They also told me that they stabilize my sternum with wires to avoid an accidental break.  I will have to be in the ICU for about a day, then taken up to a semi-private room (shitty insurance won't cover a private room, but I'm sure I won't care!) and they will have me walking around my room the next day.  Kind of cool that I'll be up and walking after only 2 days in the hospital after HEART surgery but it also makes me feel better.  The cardiologist we have also told me that each day the pain level and my overall feeling will increase substantially.  We saw a cardiologist here in town because they will be the ones checking up on me in the hospital and following my recovery. My sister and husband were both with me when we met him and again, we are lucky to have a very friendly and wise doctor who is well-educated in my condition. I really love that!!

Tomorrow we will be getting to the hospital by 5:30 AM.  Needless to say I will be going to bed shortly! I get to take two showers with Hibiclens and no food after midnight. I may chew my own arm off, but whatever I'll get to have yummy broth or something eventually! *yay*

The overall surgery is estimated to be a permanent fix to my condition, even possibly getting rid of the heart murmur I have had my entire life. They did suggest possibly treating my condition aggressively with medication but any treatment in that way would really only postpone the inevitable and as a mom I don't want to make those kinds of risks (increasing symptoms and whatnot)  if we are just going to be back down here in a couple months or so. Especially since we know our insurance is covering it!

I will be given a little pillow to hold against my chest any time I need to cough or sneeze. Since I live in Lubbock, that thing won't leave my side!

We got so much information today that I'm not even sure I got all of it in here. I'm sure I'll add info as it comes.  Really right now I want to shower and cuddle up with the Hubby and a pint of ice cream, so goodnight!!  I will probably not get a chance to update the blog for a couple days.  Love you all, thanks again for the well-wishes!

1 comment: