Sunday, January 22, 2012

Let's start with the basics:  My name is Katie Gonzalez, I'm 25 and I have a "super-special" heart.  At the end of the summer, I gave birth to my second daughter via c-section.  After the surgery, I had some fluid in my lungs (we are still not sure what happened there) but the most concerning situation was that my fairly normal heart murmur (that I have had since birth) was MUCH more pronounced, even from my last appointment with my doctor 4 days prior to the surgery. 

After some pushing from one of my doctors, I was whisked away up to Cardiology and given an echocardiogram.  This is basically an ultrasound of the heart (you know, like when you're pregnant and get to see the baby? Same thing, just higher up and WAY less exciting) and it revealed immediately that I had a very serious heart condition called Hypertropic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy. From now on, I will refer to it as HOCM since that is a very long name!

To get an idea of what HOCM is, I'll insert link here:

 http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/cardiovascular/heart/adam-200045.htm

I will now point out that there is a HUGE difference between HCM and HOCM, the obstruction makes my condition very rare, especially at 25 years old. HOCM is noted to be the #1 reason for young adults sudden unexplained deaths and is usually diagnosed on the autopsy table.  To have lived 25 years without having any life-changing symptoms and to have had 2 BEAUTIFUL babies without having a more serious "episode" revealing the condition is an absolute blessing.

The procedure that they showed on the video was something my family and I were hoping would be an option for me, since it is a much easier recovery. However, after having an Angiogram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angiography) it was revealed that not only do I have a very rare heart condition, but that my very rare condition was even MORE rare because my obstruction is not up higher on the septum like patients with HOCM are usually seen with. Mine is much further down on the septum, ruling alcohol ablation out completely and making for a very difficult surgery. Hence the "super-special" heart =)

So now, at 25 years old and a wife and mother of two I am now looking at having open heart surgery. The actual name of the surgery is septal myectomy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septal_myectomy) and as of this moment, we are waiting to hear from a very prestigious surgeon in the Houston area about whether or not he is willing to perform the surgery. My cardiologist had referred me to a heart surgeon in our area that she thought could do the surgery, however (seeing as it's so uncommon) he had never performed one and didn't want to risk trying me out as his "maiden voyage," if you will. Which, of course, is more than okay to me!

To give some history on me, I'm from the Lubbock area and have worked as a pharmacy technician for about 6 years. I met my husband at my current pharmacy (where we both still work) and were married shortly after.  Although NOTHING about our relationship was normal or traditional (seeing as I gave birth to our first daughter 4 months after our wedding, you can do the math!) our meeting will forever go down in my book as fate.  He came into my life when I wasn't even sure if I wanted to meet someone and boy did he sweep me off my feet!  The worst part of this entire situation is that we just recently lost his father to cancer and now having to deal with the possibility of losing his wife as well...you can imagine the impact that can have on a man.  But I'm a hopeless romantic and know (in my super special heart!) that we will make it through anything and this is just another, albeit BIGGER, bump in the road for us.



As for my girls *sigh*....they are the BEST thing I have ever done in my life.  They are beautiful, healthy (my 2-year-old saw a pediatric cardiologist shortly after I was diagnosed and showed no signs of my condition...she could later on down the road, but we are very much silver-lining people and thank the Lord for that) and absolutely crazy.

Penny (the two-year-old) is totally a genius. Except when it comes to potty training!  I have a sneaking suspicion she will be going into a career in the medical field when she grows up. Her aunt gave her an old stethoscope (my sister is a Family Medicine doctor...*proud!*) and it is without a doubt her favorite "toy." She listens to everyone's heart in the room.  She will correct you, boss you around and will question any "order" you give her but when well rested and well fed (and not sick!), she's the sweetest girl I've ever met.  She LOVES being a big sister and is always trying to help Mom and Dad out.  After my angiogram (while I was hobbling around like a little old lady!) she tried to crawl into my lap and hit the area where the cardio catheter had gone in and I let out a little cry in pain (while swearing like a sailor in my head!).  We showed her "Mommy's owie" and after that she was so gentle and sweet it nearly brought me to tears. Not that it's a hard thing to do [bring me to tears] because I'm, as my sister says, "a delicate flower."




Our newest little one, Sophia, is the happiest baby ever.  She started smiling at about a week old or so and hasn't stopped yet! Her favorite teething "toy" is Mommy's fingers and attacks them with such gusto I fear that she's developed a taste for human flesh.  But she certainly enjoys all the new baby foods we are trying so we'll assume she isn't a cannibal just yet!  She's quite a lazy thing. She has ZERO interest in crawling and would much rather cry until someone picks her up than give it a shot with those chubby little legs.  She is starting to roll over, but only when you catch her in the right mood.  In other words, this little one is quite spoiled! 

So that's my life!  I wanted to start a blog to keep up with everything that goes on with me and the surgery.  As unique as it is, it's sometimes hard to figure out how I feel about it, and I've always been better at writing (or typing, I guess) my feelings as a way of getting them out.  And I think part of me has always been very open and I don't mind sharing the ugliness and beauty in such a crazy, life-changing situation.  In the face of complete turmoil I've always seemed to rise to the occasion and take away some sort of life lesson.  So far, I have been reminded just how many people I have that sincerely care about me and my family and to never let a moment pass without telling someone how important they are to you.





1 comment:

  1. Ok, Missy! You've got me bawling here, reading this! You are an amazing writer and have such a way of putting things!!! I think this is a great idea and I will follow it with you....
    You are a very special young lady and a wonderful, loving Mommy and wife! It is clearly your destiny to fill both of those roles! I love you and will do anything in my power to help you through this....please, just say the word! Cuz...honestly, I'm at a loss right now, trying to figure out what I can do from here!
    I love you and will talk to you (and the family) as often as possible....
    Aunt Linda
    xxx ooo

    ReplyDelete